Personalization at weddings is something we’re seeing more and more (and more!) of recently, and we absolutely love it. One-size-fits-all wedding cakes are being replaced by quirky dessert food trucks and s’mores bars (yes, please), and design details like ceremony arches, table runners and florals are all getting fresh-as-ever face-lifts as well. But, if there’s one design detail that’s taking the three-tiered cake when it comes to modern customization, it’s wedding invitations.
The problem, though? Custom stationery suites don't fit in everyone's budget. We love, then, the idea of finding creative work-arounds when it comes to customizing wedding invitations without breaking the bank. Enter: wax seals to save the (big) day. Wax seals are such a great, affordable way to add a touch of texture, dimension, and customization your wedding invitations—which is why we’re sitting down with our friends at WaxSeals.com today to talk all you need to know about adding this personal touch to your wedding snail mail. Read on for a complete breakdown on this dreamy, decadent, downright fun design detail.
How can you customize your own wax seal?
When people first think of wax seals, they typically think about traditional red wax melting over an open flame...but modern wax seals are so much more than that! When it comes to creating custom wax seals for your wedding invitations, the possibilities are endless! Whether you choose to play with custom shapes and sizes—or simply style your wax seals with beautiful artwork and your favorite wax color—our wax seals can be customized to fit any style of wedding or budget.
What’s the process for creating your own wax seal like?
Whether you’re looking for a beautifully detailed wedding monogram, custom venue illustration, or botanical wax seal, there are five main steps to creating something completely custom:
- Artwork: We start by getting an artwork file from you. This should be a high-res, black-and-white vector image. This can be absolutely anything from a monogram to a floral illustration to your wedding logo.
- Size: Next, you’ll decide on a size. The most popular sizes for wedding invitations are our 1” and 1.25” options, but you can choose anything from 0.5”-3”.
- Shape: This is where things really start to...take shape—forgive the pun. We can pair your wax seal shape to compliment the shape of your design—you can choose round, oval, square, heart, hexagon, custom shapes, and more. You name it—we can create it!
- Color: One of the most fun parts of customizing your wax seal is choosing a color. We have 72 signature sealing wax colors inspired by current trends in the wedding and stationery industry, as well as some of the most popular classic wax colors. We can even create completely custom sealing-wax colors. Client favorites for wedding invitations and stationery include: blush, rose, gold, antique gold, and bright white—but we have every hue in the rainbow and then some!
- Style: The last thing to decide on is your style of seal. You can choose either a wax seal stamp or self-adhesive wax seals.
Will a couple have to DIY every single wax seal individually, or is there an easier option?
Using a Wax Seal Stamp is the perfect DIY option: you’ll receive everything you need to make your own wax seals using your very own wax seal stamp and sealing wax (this is a great option for the budget conscious bride or groom who has time to perfect their technique).
Our self-adhesive option, on the other hand, means you’ll receive beautiful, ready-to-use wax seals straight to your door that have been individually crafted by our team of Artisans from our authentic sealing wax. All you have to do is peel and stick (think: the chicest sticker you’ve ever seen). This is a great way to save time and achieve that classic wax seal look, without any of the stress!
What if a couple doesn’t have their own artwork for their wax seal—do you have options for them?
Of course! We’ve partnered with some of our favorite designers in the wedding and stationery industries to create a curated collection of stock and semi-custom wax seal designs that are perfect for elevating your invitations! Whether you’re looking for botanicals, florals, or monograms, you can find all of these designs and more exclusively at ARTISAIRE.
Photo courtesy (above and hero) Saffron Avenue
Are there any other places a couple can incorporate a wax seal into their wedding decor aside from invitations?
There are tons of options! One of the most popular trends of the 2018 wedding season, wax seals are the perfect way to elevate your day-of décor in a number of places, including:
Escort Cards & Table Numbers
Whether you use your wedding monogram, carry over your botanical wax seal that you used on your invitations, or create numbered wax seals to show your guests to their table, this is such a gorgeous way to elevate your wedding and create a cohesive design experience for your guests!
Our Resealable Self-Adhesive Wax Seals are the perfect way to attach your escort cards to custom seating chart surfaces, such as mirrors or glass.
Menus are another great place to show off your wax seals—attach our self-adhesive wax seals to each guest’s menu to add dimension and texture.
Confections and Baked Goods
Say what? That’s right—our wax-seal stamps are made with food-grade brass, so you can stamp our them into chocolates, truffles, or even cookies and cakes before you bake (or afterward, in the frosting)! This makes for a great customized, DIY favor for your guests to go home with!
Overall, wax seals at weddings are such a great way to elevate the aesthetic of your big day, without breaking the bank. Plus, when you use them across a number of different design details—first setting the tone by using them on your invitations and then carrying that through to your menus, escort cards, and even desserts—you end up creating a super cohesive design experience for your guests. Hello, Pinterest-worthy wedding dreams!
Start Designing Your Own Custom Wax Seal